The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Chapters 13 - end

LLW, 13 - end


Our reading begins with Edmund.  Central to Lewis’s intentions in writing this fantasy is to instill within a child an awe at the nature of Christ’s crucifixion and of the revolting nature of the evil that prompted it, and that’s the main concern of this section.  The reader cannot but be both disgusted with Edmund for his treachery but also feel pity for him in the utter disillusionment that he experiences from giving his allegiance to the White Witch.


Because of the prophecy that four kings shall rule from Cair Paravel, the witch is determined to kill the Pervensie children, but while Edmund is being prepared for slaughter he is suddenly rescued by a party of creatures that Aslan sent.  Aslan then meets privately with Edmund.  We read: “There is no need to tell you (and no one ever heard) what Aslan was saying, but it was conversation which Edmund never forgot)” After which, Edmund meets with each of his siblings to say he was sorry.


WHY DOES LEWIS HANDLE THIS PIVOTAL INCIDENT THIS WAY, NOT DISCLOSING WHAT WAS ACTUALLY SAID IN THEIR CONVERSATION?


The scenes in which Aslan sacrifices himself on the Stone Table prepare the reader for the dramatic high point of the tale, his death at the hands of the White Witch.  Lewis recalled how as a boy he was expected to feel awe and deep appreciation for the sacrifice of Christ and was simply unable to generate such feelings.  He undertakes in this fantasy to generate proper feelings, and, of course, he is working entirely by indirection.  Note how skillfully he gradually intensifies the sense of dread and wonder through a series of incidents.   Aslan’s so humbling himself and yielding to the humiliation not only of being bound by the horde of evil creatures, but also of being shaved, muzzled, jeered at and spit  upon, cannot but rivet the attention and sense of wonder of any reader.

                                    

The scenes by which the overpowering sorrow is transformed into all-pervading joy, triumphing over the former, build at just the right pace to a crescendo of gladness.  The emotional experience through which Lewis takes his readers has few if any to compare with in all of children’s fantasy literature.


The joyous scene of freeing all the beings that the Witch had turned to stone follows, and then the liberated horde set out the find the Witch and her followers.  They come upon a battle with Peter and his tired army trying to defeat the Witch and her followers.  After Aslan pounces upon the Witch and kills her, and her followers are defeated, he greets Peter, who tells him of Edmund’s courageous fighting.  Aslan then crowns  Susan, Lucy, Edmund and Peter Kings and Queens of Narnia. After having a triumphant rule, they return through the wardrobe to their original world.


HOW WOULD YOU RATE THE IMAGINATIVE EXPERIENCE OF READING THIS FANTASY?  DID YOU FIND ANY ONE SCENE ESPECIALLY VIVID?    

Comments

Debbie said…
I think every child (or adult) has had a private conversation over some sin or transgressions which he or she would not like to have repeated to the world! So, the fact that Aslan and Edmund's conversation is kept private seems an evidence of that same grace God offers us so many times. Whatever Lewis would have written would have been insufficient to describe it anyway!

In this reading, I was touched by the picture of the girls walking alongside Aslan before his death. It brought to mind clearly the deep desire Jesus had for his disciples to stay awake and pray with him--one that they, sadly, were unable to fulfill, leaving Him alone to face His suffering and death, unlike Aslan.
Debbie Stojic said…
There are so many scenes that stand out as vivid to me. I'm glad not to read the story to my grandchildren in one sitting. We all need time to assimilate the different passages! The one that starts our reading for this week - Edmund's conversation with Aslan, and his repentance, has always stood out to me. I think Lewis makes it private because only God can judge us rightly. He has made us and knows us better than we even know ourselves. He judges us as the Lover of our souls. Those things are very private and only between us and God. It reminds me of that passage in Rev. 2:17 where it talks about the white stone God will give us with a new name written on it. The name will only be known by him who gives it and him/her who receives it. In one of my earliest days of reading MacDonald, he was talking about going to God with our sins. I wish I was a little more well versed in McD's writings to know where I could find a more accurate quote. He was saying that when we have done our worst is the time we most need to go to God our Father with it. I began to practice this, and although it was hard at first, it has proven to deepen my relationship with God. One certainly does'nt escape the consequences of one's sins but there is great comfort in being made right with God and living in forgiveness.

I think I will quit with that because, as I said, there are so many passages that vividly stand out. I, too, was touched by the scene Debbie mentioned - the tenderness of the girls walking with Aslan before his death.
Pat C said…
Our conversations with God are private - and Aslan's love showed his compassion and care for Edward in having a private conversation with him. So many times people bring out things with other people in front of others, thereby humiliating them and creating a tension for future relations - Aslan kept it private - and quiet - and loving.
I found the scene of Aslan's dying to be especially vivid - it was so humiliating, he did it with sadness and dignity - I was crying along with Lucy and Susan and again was brought to my knees with our sin nature - how can we be so callous? To kill love......to kill our creator...and still we sin....Lewis knew just how to get to me and others.....
Thank you for this reading that made me remember, yet again, how bent we are, and that without God's love and forgiveness we would be lost.
Rolland Hein said…
Thanks for these thoughtful and provocative comments. Edmund's conversation with Aslan is left to the reader’s imagination, which has the effect of drawing one more completely into the text in a manner more powerful than if the conversation were given, and it also emphasizes the very private nature of interactions between an individual and God. It is being utterly frank and open about every aspect of ourselves in our private conversations with our Lord that a person comes into the most satisfying relationship with Him.

I love George Herbert's poem "Love":

"Love bade me welcome: yet my soul drew back, / Guilty of dust and sin, / But quick-eye Love, observing me grow slack / From my first entrance in, / Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning , / If I lacked any thing.

A guest, I answered, worthy to be here: / Love said, You shall be he / I the unkind, ungrateful? Ah my dear / I cannot look on thee. / Love took my hand, and smiling did reply, / Who made the eyes but I?

Truth Lord, but I have marred them: let my shame / Go where it doth deserve / And know you not, says Love, who bore the blame? / My dear, then I will serve. / You must sit down, says Love, and taste my meat: / So I did sit and eat."

Popular posts from this blog

Thomas Wingfold: Chapters 46 - 63

Thomas Wingfold: Chapters 29 - 45

Thomas Wingfold Chapters 11 - 28