God in the Dock: Final two essays

  In both articles “Rejoinder to Dr. Pittenger” and “Must Our Image of God Go?” Lewis engages fellow theological scholars to differ from them in the positions they take.  The differences are not that large; in either case most lay readers may well see them as quibbles that have little relevance to Christian life and experience.  While a few readers may find them interesting, one may wonder why Walter Hooper included them in this collection, which does contain several exceedingly fine presentations of Lewis’s thought.  

I intend to take a break now to enjoy the spring and do some gardening work.  The Wade Center will send an announcement when we resume our readings, probably in June.  

I would welcome any suggestions as to any of the works of the Wade authors you would enjoy considering.  Please email me at rolland.hein@dwheaton.edu.  It is always so good to hear from you.  I have no way of knowing if I have any followers unless you place a comment or write me a note.

Comments

Tim M said…
I enjoyed several things on the discussion with Dr Pittenger but it would take quite a long post to discuss each. So just a flavor of it ... It seems first of all that there was a distinction between the two about the nature of Jesus - God acting thru a man or Jesus as part of the Trinity and thus God himself. I believe I side with Lewis on the second.

Later he addresses the fact that he was seeking to reach the common person rather than the intellectual ... Proof of which is his lasting impact on so many Christians thru his works ...
"When I began, Christianity came before the mass of my unbelieving fellow-countrymen, either in the highly emotional form offered by revivalists or in the unintelligible language of highly cultured clergymen" ... ahhhh where do our churches fall today??? I'm thinking perhaps the "seeker sensitive" trend of the last 30 years or so leans toward the first ... While the more "Orthodox" sometimes falls in the latter. Perhaps the shame is that there is not much between those poles.

Thanks again for leading these discussions. It's a stretch for me but it has been a good exercise. I had just begun reading at the Wade Center before COVID so I'm not familiar enough with other options to offer suggestions. Unfortunately I haven't gotten the impression that access is as open as it used to be so I haven't returned yet.
Rolland Hein said…
Thanks for each of your comments, Tim. I'm very pleased that you have engaged these essays as you have, and I quite agree with what you are saying here.

There are so many really fine works among the Wade authors, and most of them further deepen and enrich our thinking as we engage them together and interact.

Popular posts from this blog

Thomas Wingfold: Chapters 46 - 63

Thomas Wingfold: Chapters 29 - 45

Thomas Wingfold Chapters 11 - 28