Robert Frost's poem altered

 Robert Frost is one of my favorite poets, and I have many of his poems by heart, often putting myself to sleep by reciting them in my mind.  But I am sorry for his lack of faith.  I’ve taken the liberty to take his poem “Reluctance” and adjust the ending to my liking:


"Out through the fields and the woods/ 

And over the walls I have wended/ 

I’ve climbed the hills of view/ 

And looked on the world and descended;/ 

I’ve come by the highway home,/ 

And low it is ended./ 


Oh, when to the heart of man/ 

Was it ever less than treason/ 

To withhold one’s heart from God/ 

And seek recourse in reason;/ 

To ignore the Gospel truth/ 

And refuse life’s joyous season./ 


God awaits the heart’s decision/ 

To trust Him, one' self denying/ 

And be shown the path of life/ 

Utterly on Him relying;/ 

To hold with faith the promises/ 

And gladly await one’s dying.


(With apologies to Robert Frost)

Comments

Pat C said…
Hi Professor Hein - thank you for sharing Lewis's WEIGHT OF GLORY with us. I have just finished writing a story entitled "The Bucket List" - a list of things people would like to complete before they die. By the end of the story I realized that my life stories didn't happen by chance, and that what was really happening was what God was going to use in my future - that the bottom line was like Paul said: "It is no longer I that live, but Christ who lives in me, and that the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." What a great reminder this was.
Have a great summer! I saw the flowers on your patio via Facebook post and they are going to be beautiful!

Popular posts from this blog

Thomas Wingfold: Chapters 46 - 63

Thomas Wingfold: Chapters 29 - 45

Thomas Wingfold Chapters 11 - 28